praying mantis from our front yard

Friday, July 15, 2011

Week 5 Reflection on Blogs and Wikis


Blogs and Wikis
The only blog that I have used to date in my classroom is Edmodo.  The only use that I have had for it was to post current events and have students respond to  those events.  So based on the Science 2.0 article on blogging I feel that I have a good start.  I feel like I am providing students with an opportunity to show that science is ongoing, like Elissa Hoffman stated.  However I would like to add to my blog and make it more useful for students.  I liked Chris Cimino’s suggestions on having students complete online simulations.  And after reviewing several other blogs last night I see that it can also be used as a platform for students projects for my review and for when students need to work together on a project.  This is where I will probably focus my attention for my final project.
As for wikis I am still not sold on them.  They seem to overlap greatly with blogs in terms of their use for group projects and feedback.  My other hangup on them is they are in chronological date order and I  am used to seeing most information on the internet in reverse date order.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of having my students create their own wiki for a final unit project. They would work in groups of 3 or 4 outside of school to create their own final project on a specific unit. I basically teach three major units during the year, so they would create three wiki's. I also like the idea of having students create a glog as a final project.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete